and..... ACTION!

Hi,

I'm sorry it's been a while... After finishing the console table i went straight back to my work bench and haven't left it much. So that explains some of my absence. But now time is on my side and there's loads to show you. So here it goes;

First i'd never explained how the crest underneath the console table was made up. Because the legs came in under the top at set angles i could use those to make sure the crest would connect properly. So they were drawn out on a piece of stock. That, and putting up guide lines made sure the crest would be dead centre between the legs.




The carving was fiddly because it had a lot of piercings. When the crest was almost done it was attached to the legs with glue and dowels. The really last carving job was the connecting area between the crest and legs. 

















And then it was onto one of the most satisfying jobs there is when making furniture. At least, that's my opinion. When the oil to seal the wood is applied you can see the color deepen as it sucks it up! Every time it gives such a buzz... it's like it is coming to life, like feeding a starved animal or watering a dried up plant. A real transformation! I've finished the table with more coats of various substances :) and made a sweet traveling box for it too. As i always do when pieces are for sale.




Then i went back to a project that had been on hold; door hardware. In particular lock shields (is that how you call them?) to accompany real working door locks. I was asked to carve various designs out of wax, so they can be cast later on. That way you can pick your own choice of design when you buy the door lock. 




I'm still getting to grips with the material, wax is so much different then wood!  But i love it, although half of my carving tools are useless with wax :)) It's a lovely project; these working locks are a really cool addition to any house, adding detail and dynamics! 


Talking bout dynamics; I love to see that return in scale furniture too. Alternating, folding or extending...  furniture you can adapt to the situation. It can be a sewing table with retractable fire screen... or just a chest of drawers you can pull out and play with :) I've made several folding chairs in the past and was researching extendable tables for a future project. There are some amazing pieces out there, that are engineering masterpieces! But next to impossible to figure out (plans of this table are very protected of course), let alone to rebuild in scale. But i did find a design by Thomas Shareton that i've adapted slightly. It's commonly referred to as a draw leaf table. 


I've started making a modern mock up table to see where the pitfalls lie in building this construction. Believe me, there are many...



The calculations & construction didn't allow room for error. Which did happen, of course :) But it was a stupid mis calculation so all i had to do was build new parts. Then it took a bit of fitting together, testing and taking it part again to adjust and make it work smooth. Some small parts like the pegs and stops i'de made out of brass. In the original they were made out of wood, but in this scale i figured that wouldn't be strong enough to take the action.

















And here's the action :) 



I have to say, it was a great idea to build this test piece because i've learned so much. I can now confidently proceed to make a replica of an antique one i'd seen at The Rijks Museum about a month ago. I think some of you might recognize a certain bug in these pictures below?


On my knees, taking pictures and measurements, in a crowded exposition space...



Have a great day, and enjoy the small things in life,

36 comments:

  1. Your carved table is a real masterpiece, and the working locks will be superb. And another great achievement, the draw leaf table, it works so smoothly, great craftsmanship! Cannot wait to see your next project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret. I love the locks too. If i had a dolls house i would put them in all the doors myself!

      Delete
  2. Wow, Debora, your work is so amazing!!! You really go for the complex and precise parts of miniatures! I am in awe of what you build! Amazing table and wonderful designs for locks... and the tiny carving! Just Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first table is drop-dead gorgeous! The carving is spectacular. The door hardware is called an escutcheon. Your Art Deco one looks exactly like the ones in my 'real-life' bathroom, which I decorated in a 1920's theme.
    I just love that clever little table with the pull-out leaves. And that one in the museum is going to be another stunning mini. (I've gotten some funny looks from the guards at our local museum when I am examining things too closely)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the word escutcheon was solely used for the key hole shield? Hence i was a bit lost. But now i know you can call it that too. Thanks :)

      Were you addressed by security too ? I was! 'Don't get too close to the art, Madam!' If you explain you get the weirdest looks of them too whahaha

      Delete
  4. Dear Debora,

    I've been following your blog for quite some time. All I can say is one word--amazing. Your carving is superb and the draw leaf table is just outstanding. Congratulations. Do you take commissions? I would love to have a piece of your work in one of my upcoming projects!

    Looking forward to your next blog post!

    All best,
    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brad, glad you appreciate my work. If you have special interests or wishes just drop me a personal mail (Mail Button on the left side of the page)

      Delete
  5. The table is very nice! And yes, I know this position when taking a good look of real furniture too! LOL. Love your cravings! I know how complicate it is in our scale.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ewa. I figured i wasn't the only one getting to the floor to have a better look :)

      Delete
  6. Did you say working locks? Oh my. Debora, as usual you has outdone yourself. Everything is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah Pepper! Working locks! Isn't that just so cool?! Open, close, open close and open again :))))

      Delete
  7. Hey Debora
    You continue to amaze and impress. After being blown away at the carving on the console, I'm now equally impressed by your skill and technique at what you've achieved with the table - and I can't believe its only a test run!!!
    As for the locks, well, I'll have to go sit down ...
    Best wishes
    Si x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Simon, hope all's well? I really appreciate your comment. Yeah, the table is 'only a test run'. But thought i might as well make it pretty, neat and finish it? So it can double up as give-a-way?

      Delete
  8. Looking forward to your new table, carving and mechanics, way to go! Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elga, and don't you worry, i'll have fun! :) You too, ok???

      Delete
  9. Hi Debra, I am so ashamed I never found/read your blog before *blush*
    Wauw, your work is amazing. Going to browse your blog a little bit more and look at the amazing miniature pieces of art you made. gr. AM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AM, same goes for me; wish i'd seen your blog sooner too. Your work looks very cool and promising as well. Really nice house! I couldn't find a 'follow' button but got you in my reader from now on :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Debora, how you've made the console table is just amazing! How to make the crest for it was very interesting to see/read. And the new project about working locks...how cool is that! I hope you keep us up to date on those!!:) And your table: if you only had let me know.....I could have made pictures of our own table(arts&crafts style) to reveal the construction but I guess this way was more fun for the museum guards as well!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some how i felt i was doing the guards a favor yah :)))) Nothing to do is soooooo boring :)

      Delete
    2. btw, cool you have a table like that too. It's also called a Dutch pullout table, a very sturdy construction for extra leaves. Your's must have some age right now, now tell me; it's still working smooth?

      Delete
    3. Yes our table has some ageing but it still works very well!!
      And glad to see that those guards finally had something to do or watch at.....you've must have been the talk about during their coffeebreak ;)

      Delete
  11. Debora
    your table turned out spectacular , See it was worth it to get on your knees are the exhibition ;) *I do that sometimes when I see a piece of furniture that inspires me because I really want to see what it looks like underneath, good to know Im not the only one who does that*

    Hugs
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, funny how our inquisitive nature can get us into awkward situations. My guess is museums aren't always the best places to get more details about a piece of furniture (unless you specifically ask and get scheduled in). Sometimes walking into an antiques dealer can be a far better way. You can open doors, drawers and look at the backside of pieces without given an extra look by the owner. And when you explain the reason why you bring out the tape measure and pen and paper to write down the numbers, they often are more then willing to help you out with more detail or information. And i've always got a great smile :D Which i didn't got from the guard :(

      Delete
  12. Creo que una de las palabra que definen tu trabajo es PERFECTO. No se puede pedir mas a la mesa o a las
    cerraduras . Son perfectamente maravillosas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Debora!
    ik doe dit even in het hollands, dan heb ik de translator niet nodig :)
    Mooi, die nieuwe tafel en ik denk ook leuk om uit te vinden hoe het werkt. Maar of-ie 1:1 zo praktisch is? Als mini is het in elk geval wel weer een toppertje, goed gevonden!
    Die sloten ja, da's weer ouderwets kwijlen... zó superduper en zo lekker speciaal.
    Petje af, hoor!
    Groeten,
    Gee

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE it all. I am so glad you came back to tell us more about the first table.

    Your new table is just perfect with those working leaves that just click right into place.

    I cannot tell you how much I adore the idea of doors with working locks. you are doing such a beautiful job carving the wax. OOOH I want to come visit and play! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, i was so glad i'd finished the console table i posted it right away. But the way the crest was made should be mentioned too

      As for the locks; you're more then welcome to come over. Then we can play together :)

      Delete
  15. La console est un "bijoux" , je suis très très impressionnée .Ne me dit pas que les serrures vont être fonctionnelles ??? c'est incroyable .Un seul mot j'adore !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Catherine. Un bijoux table :) And yes, the locks do really work. Functional & fun! Enjoy your weekend :)

      Delete
  16. Hey hoi, echt geweldig wat je allemaal maakt.
    Dat Rijks dat weet wat.
    Ik heb het boek "Noord Nederlandse meubelen van Renaissance tot de vroege Barok".In mijn geval niet om meubels te maken, maar wel omdat mijn interesse daar erg naar uit gaat,ook voor mijn miniatuurhuis.
    Dat boek bevat ook een enorme verzameling foto's van meubels die mss je interesse wel zullen hebben.
    De gedachte wat jij allemaal kan maken,Jeetje, dan zie ik de mooiste miniatuurkastjes en tafels voor me.
    Geweldig hoor.
    Groetjes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoi Alexandra, leuk dat je hier geageerd. En voor het noemen van het boek. Maar oei, tis niet goedkoop zeg! Bijna 100 euro bij Bol :( Ik heb ondertussen al een aardige bibliotheek aan referentie boeken, allemaal van onschatbare waarden als het om inspiratie en meubel maken gaat. Dit lijkt me ook een prachtig voorbeeld. Ik ga zeker kijken of het tweedehands te vinden is, zo heb ik meerdere waardevolle aankopen kunnen doen :) Ik heb ook een zwak voor typisch Nederlandse meubelen; onze rijke geschiedenis heeft absoluut mooie en unieke dingen voort gebracht. Daarom is een bezoek aan het Rijks ook zo geweldig! Om je vingers bij af te likken :P

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...